Its dinnertime, after a long day at work and you dont want to hit the drive thru. Again. You are craving something hearty but you are tired. It’s getting late and the idea of spending time in front of the stove is not exactly appealing.
What if I told you that dinner could be on the table in about an hour after tossing a few items into a baking tray? That leaves you time to either help the kids with homework, take a long & relaxing shower, or just open a bottle of wine to sip as you have your feet up.
Quick dinner ideas are total lifesavers! You will need to gather a few things before you get started but to save time, you can pick up a rotisserie chicken at the market on the way home. Here is what you will need for this easy casserole recipe.
Weeknight Broccoli Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 1 large rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 large can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can of chicken broth
- 1 small bag of broccoli florets
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Grab a mixing bowl and add the broth and cream of chicken soup.
- Stir it to thin out the soup and pour it into a baking tray.
- Measure out one cup of white rice and pour into the same baking tray. Stir it around and mix with the soup.
- Shred your chicken and mix with the broccoli florets. I normally add them together before adding to the tray so I can gauge how much broccoli to add. Typically its about a cup but it depends on the size of the chicken you get. You may want to decide how much of both for yourself. I like more chicken.
- Add both to the tray, season with salt & pepper and toss with a large mixing spoon. I do this to make sure its all mixed evenly.
- Cover with foil and put the baking tray into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Take it out, add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix together. This allows the cheese to melt into the yummy casserole instead of becoming a leathery layer on top.